[noob again]objects and properties and messages

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Mon Mar 28 14:24:44 EST 2005

At 7:34 PM +1200 3/28/05, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>As I'd written, it returns all properties which are returned in "the
>properties", as in:
>
>    get the properties of button 1
>
>This includes read-only properties like ID.
>
>If you find any properties not returned by that function submit a
>Bugzilla report and when they fix it in the engine it'll
>automatically work in 4W Props too.

Actually, quite a few properties aren't reported by the properties
property. I quote:

"Not every property is included in the properties property. The
following types of properties are excluded:

* Read-only properties

* The script property and custom properties

* Synonyms: Only one synonym for each property is included.

* Duplicates: Properties that are functionally duplicated by other
properties are not included. For example, the rectangle property is
included, but not the height, width, top, bottom, left, right, or
location properties, because you can derive all of them from the
object's rectangle.

* Properties other than object properties: Global properties, local
properties, properties of a character or chunk in a field, and
adjectives such as short that are implemented internally as
properties are all excluded.

* Others: Some other properties are excluded."

I can't remember offhand what the "some other properties" were at the
time that was written. If I recall correctly, the properties property
was implemented specifically to make the Profile Manager possible,
and Kevin wanted the flexibility to exclude properties if need be for
that reason.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com