Running MySQL Utility Commands on Remote Server

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 26 12:53:22 EST 2005

Howdy Peter,

On Mar 26, 2005, at 05:07, Peter Reid wrote:

> In order to do various forms of database maintenance (dumping,
> importing copying, etc.) I need to be able to use not just the MySQL
> server commands but also the MySQL utility commands such as mysqldump.
>  In particular, I'd like to be able to dump the structure and contents
> of a database on the server into a local file (as a SQL script) on the
> client system.

Just a couple of ideas:

1. You could have a process running on the database server, listening
on its own port, that issues the commands that you need to have done on
the database server machine.  You would communicate with it via a
socket that you would open from the application running on the client.
2. If your client program is running on a Unix, Linux, or Mac OS X
system, you could use rsh (or, more securely, ssh) to issue the remote
commands.  If your client is running on a Windows machine, you could
possibly install the (free) cygwin utilities that would give you the
same functionality that you have on a windows machine.

--gordy