Running MySQL Utility Commands on Remote Server

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 06:07:40 EST 2005

I'm developing a MySQL-based Rev application with the MySQL server
running on a server system on the local network which is accessed by
client systems running my Rev application.

In order to do various forms of database maintenance (dumping,
importing copying, etc.) I need to be able to use not just the MySQL
server commands but also the MySQL utility commands such as
mysqldump.  In particular, I'd like to be able to dump the structure
and contents of a database on the server into a local file (as a SQL
script) on the client system.

If the MySQL server were running on the same machine as the Rev app,
then I'd just use the shell() feature.  However, the Rev app will be
on a client machine and the MySQL server will be on a different
machine on the network.  So does anyone know how I can use the shell
commands with the remote server machine?

Alternatively, does anyone have potted MySQL Rev solutions that
support copying, importing, exporting databases, etc?

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk