Great Tip from Ken Ray about lineOffset

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Mar 25 05:46:00 EST 2005

Brian Yennie wrote:

> Here's another interesting one to mull over what it does, just for fun:
>
> replace (the lineDelimiter) with (the itemDelimiter) in tList
> put (itemOffset(tItem, tList) div itemsPerLine) into tLineNumber
> if (tLineNumber > 0) then add 1 to tLineNumber
>
> To ponder: why would this be useful for searching data with a fixed
> number of items per line many times?

I guess I don't understand the code, or something.

If the item I am searching for is the very first item, then the
itemOffset() returns 1, so the div produces 0 which goes into
tLineNumber.  Therefore the if test is false, so I don't add the 1 -
leaving me with a value of 0.

I'd interpret that to mean "item not present", since there isn't a line
number 0.

Am I  missing something obvious ?