Rev and Externals

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Mar 23 14:28:24 EST 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 11:15 AM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

>> But we shouldn't let library suppliers hear about this.  We should
>> encourage them to keep to a well-defined interface.
>
> Why encourage?  We should take library developers out back and flog
> them when they make major api changes that could break things ;-)

That might be considered persuasive encouragement, too.  On the other
hand...  Perhaps that is more of a very firm admonishing.

I'm sure any developers and potential developers have gotten the
message.

Even then, as your tale illustrates, it can happen.

Maybe a little utility that finds uses of a function might help when
this does happen.

Dar