the case of the misterious resizestack error

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Wed Mar 23 01:10:24 EST 2005

Many times I've written a resizestack handler only to find that when I cause
a script stack resize, I need to send the stack a resizestack message. Many
times this fails for one reason or another.

Normally handled, the stack resizes itself correctly. Even without sending a
"resizestack" message. Totally cool!

But sometimes, I just do a stack mode switch (without affecting the
stackresizeable) and then the resizestack stops working! But the error comes
after the resizestack handler was executed!

After some testing here's what I found out:

I change stack mode to palette. 'Send "resizestack" to this stack', it
executes and then, I get an error

executing at 6:56:30 AM
Type	 Handler: can't find handler
Object Paletize  (this is the button I clicked)
Line	 resizestack (very helpful description if i have more than one ;)
Hint	 resizestack (wrong because the script runs fine!!!)

But there is no error! The resizestack handler is in the stack script and
there is no visible error there. If I just call "resizestack", same thing,
same error!

The strange thing which I hope anyone can explain is that when I
encapsulated my resizestack handler into a doresizestack handler and called
that in my button, it worked and no more errors.

Again, none of the scripts have any error and work fine under other
conditions...

Any similar experiences? I've seen this happen since MetaCard when I was
working on switcheable palettes...

Thanks in advance
Xavier
--