The paradigm of containers and self-referenced names

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 20:10:08 EST 2005

Well, I re-read your original post, and I don't see anything wrong
with the way RR handles  the two cases you cited - to review, if I
have two handlers like the following:

on mouseUp
   put myVar + 3 into myVar
end mouseUp

and

on mouseUp
   add 3 to myVar
end mouseUp

Your contention is that the fact that the first results in a runtime
error and the second in myVar containing 3 is a problem.

Would  it be better if SOMETHING was more clear SOMEWHERE regarding
this?  Probably.  I just added it to the Tao blog, because I'm sure
somebody else will be confused by it.  However, the docs are
shockingly clear on the behavior, and after reading them there should
be no confusion as to what will happen.  + is designed for two numbers
or arrays of numbers, add is more flexible and can handle any
container, and nearly any object.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."