OT: Analyzing competitors - In this case Real Software

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Mar 22 15:58:22 EST 2005

Frank-

Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 10:00:23 AM, you wrote:

i = instr(myString, chr$(13)+chr$(10))
while (i >> 0)
 myString = left$(myString, i-1) + chr$(10) + mid$(myString, i+2)
 i = instr(myString, chr$(13)+chr$(10))
wend

Pretty close to what I came up with, although your implementation is
more compact an probably a bit faster - I may go back and look into
modifying mine a bit some day. I think you want right() instead of
mid(), though, and the "$" syntax has been deprecated for some time
now.

I always had the impression that at least basic's strength was string
handling. Having to go back to it after dealing with xtalk, though, is
eye-opening. And it took me a while to remember the name of the
instr() function.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net