Win98 CD-ROM path workaround

Stephen Van Esch vanesch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 08:30:16 EST 2005

Folks:

Is there a simple workaround for Win98 breaking
relative paths on CD-ROMS unless the executable is in
a subfolder?

To recap: Win98 won't load CD-ROM media if the
executable is located at the root level. The
executable and media must be in a subfolder on the CD.
This workaround is not necessary for OSX, Classic, or
XP.

Ideally, I'd like to put a shortcut to the executable
at the root level but Windows hardwires the shortcut
to the device letter which may be different on
different machines. Autorun.inf probably won't work
because it's disabled in XP (as far as I know).

Steve