Getting as much system info possible.

Malte Brill revolution at derbrill.de
Fri Mar 18 06:26:03 EST 2005

Hi List,

inspired by the "erratic screen updates (was Slow screen lock/unlock)"
Thread I´m starting a new one. :-)

I would like to find as much information on the machine a stack runs on
as possible. I´m especially interested in:

-amount of RAM
-processor type
-video card type
-video card Ram
-free HD space

I *guess* it should be possible to retrieve that data using the shell
on OsX / Linux / Unix and XP, but I have not too many ideas how to go
about it.
The first wild guess for OsX would be to

get shell(dmesg) and walk through each line of it to retrieve
information. Any thoughts for the other platforms and a better way for
OsX?

Cheers,

Malte