Slow screen lock/unlock

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Mar 16 18:54:34 EST 2005

>> If I comment out either the lock screen or the unlock screen then the
>> whole thing takes 2 milliseconds and if I comment out the unlock
>> screen line then it takes less than one millisecond.

> In that case, why bother to lock at all? One millisecond isn't
> perceptible and it will look instantaneous to the user.

A good idea.

Another thing to consider is potential demands on the processor by frequent
locks/unlocks.  I once ran into a situation where I needed to relocate a
bunch of PNG images on screen simultaneously.  The obvious way to do this
was to lock the screen and then move the objects as needed, and by doing so,
I was able to successfully crash (lock up) a couple of Windows machines.  I
eventually discovered the processor was being significantly maxed out.
Removing the lock screen reduced the processor load and the visual results
were acceptable.  In my case, this was the only way I could get the stack to
run successfully.

Each situation is different, but in some cases you may actually be able
avoid locking the screen, with the added benefit of reducing the load on
your processor.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director