Trial software and registering

Dwayne Rothe drothe at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 16 17:59:00 EST 2005

Hi Karen,
I agree with Malte, having a function limited app for demo purposes and an
ID KEY system for the full app
seems to be the best answer for me. My full app is the standalone.exe and I
also use an idkey.rev stack for
verifying username against the encrypted key.
On startup the main stack(app) is hidden while the idkey.rev is run to do
its stuff.

on startUp
hide this stack
open idkey.rev
end startUp

When the app is first installed it places a carefully named
cipherfile(file1) into the system folder.
For the first run the enter registration form(idkey.rev) is displayed where
the user types his/her details into, it is checked against the cipherfile,
if all matches ok another carefully named file(file2) containing the
username & idkey is written to the system folder.
Every time the app is started it(silently) checks for (file2) & decodes the
username against the idkey, if the key is incorrect or absent it displays
the Enter Registration form. If all matches ok it shows the main stack(app),
which also displays a
"Registerd to: Users Name" field at the about screen or somewhere within the
main stack, this way if someone somehow copies the idkey they will have
software registered to another person which they will be reminded of each
time they use it!
If you try to run the app with idkey.rev absent the stack remains hidden!

I have a stack from which I generate the users idkey using their name.
This is emailed to them once payment is received!
I created the idkey gen stack using the principles from the "Sons of
Thunder" website ,
http://www.sonsothunder.com/index2.htm?http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/re
volution/revolution.htm find section Deployment - (Nearly) Unbreakable
Keyfile Encryption.

Hope this helps.......Dwayne Rothe