Poll: the sum(7,9)

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Tue Mar 15 18:16:10 EST 2005

On 16/03/2005, at 5:57, various people wrote on:

> Subject: Re: Poll: the sum(7,9)
>

>> It's this:  How do you mentally process simple addition/subtraction
>> facts?  What actually happens in your brain to elicit 16 when you hear
>> 7+9? (for example)

It depends a bit on how complex the question. My response to "7 9 +"
was initially the second of those originally suggested by Mark -
pattern recognition, probably a direct consequence of his third option,
rote learning at school. The same certainly happens instantly for
numbers where the sum is less than 13 and very fast for others. When
the numbers get larger, I use accumulated pattern-bits to break down
the problem and derive an answer, which actually seems to involve an
approximation on most parts of the number then fixing the details in
any unconsidered digits. If it is "difficult" or I am tired then
concrete methods start to move in to deal with it, involving
visualising changing numbers.

However, the later question, "17 9 -" (seriously folks, over 30 years
my thinking really has shifted to the point where RPN is as easy as and
"more sensible" than infix) caught my attention.  The answer came
straight away but I managed to rerun the question immediately in my
head and think I got some glimpse of what happened, insofar as one can
believe introspection. It went something like " 9 is one less than 10
and I see 17 so the answer is 8". Bang. Nothing more I noticed (I
barely caught the "and I see 17" but it had to be there) and in
retrospect I am not quite sure I would think of it quite that way, but
it seems to work.

cheers
David