Poll: the sum(7,9)

Mark Swindell mswindel at santacruz.k12.ca.us
Tue Mar 15 14:20:17 EST 2005

Thanks to all who have responded so far.  Very interesting answers.
I'm primarily interested in how the "answers" to single-digit
addition/subtraction combinations "pop" in to our mind... how these
discreet "facts" are stored and retrieved.

The other, more complex, strategies involve problem-solving techniques,
and are interesting, but how different people retrieve the simple
"facts" from their own customProperty containers is what I'm most
curious about.   If these require problem-solving in some cases, so
much the better.  Some "facts" appear to be recalculated each time for
some people.

I also miswrote when I said "hear" 9 + 7.  I meant hear or see.

Thanks again.
Mark