true newbie

Jerry Balzano gjbalzano at popmail.ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 15 13:44:50 EST 2005

John -

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to practice getting up to speed
by developing simple "game"-like projects.  One I like to use for
newbies that come my way, for instance, might be called "Coordinate
Game".  Display a pair of x,y coordinates.  Have a graphic (or image or
icon-ed button) available for the user to drag around the screen (or
click at a location s/he wishes to "guess").  Display the coordinates
of the spot where the user has dragged the graphic.  Count the number
of tries.  When the user gets the "loc" of the graphic sufficiently
near the displayed x,y, do some kind affirming display, and present
(possibly at the user's request) a new pair of coordinates.  A nicety:
Do all the displaying of information in a separate (palette-style)
window, so the whole main window is available for dragging/guessing.

Have fun.

Jerry