Poll: the sum(7,9)

Jerry Balzano gjbalzano at popmail.ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 15 13:35:43 EST 2005

I actually think of the numbers as "characters" (agent-based
computation?), so "9" has its own characteristic "9-behavior", "8" has
its own "8-behavior", and so on.  Everybody, I would claim, learns
"10-behavior", for example.  So the interesting question becomes, how
many integers have "characters" like this?  My answer would be that,
within limits, most of numbers under 100 have some kind of character,
although in some cases the "character-sketch" would be pretty meager.
At least, most of them have a "prime vs. composite" flag filled in, and
if they're composite, then part of their character includes what their
factors are.  Of course, these aspects of their character are more
important for multiplication and division than for addition and
subtraction.  For the latter, "13" inherits character from "3" mostly
but also a little from "1".  And "38" has mostly "8" character but also
a little "3" character and even a tiny bit of "4" character (because
it's closer to 40 than to 30; add 38? under some circumstances I'll use
the "4" character of 38 and "add 40", then "subtract 2", along the
lines that some people have posted).  Welcome to the world of
anthropomorphic epistemology ....

- Jerry