true newbie

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Mar 15 02:26:55 EST 2005

Hi John, Welcome to the Revolution!

> I am a true newbie, not just to revolution, but to programming. I was
> looking into having a somewhat simple ( I think ) software application
> developed and thought maybe instead I should take the time to learn
> how to do it myself. Especially since I have more time than money and
> enjoy learning how to do things.
>
> I have three questions:
>
> 1. Having absolutley no programming knowledge at all, other than
> learning Revolution, do I need to learn other things like Visual
> Basic, etc.
No, definitely not. In fact some people find the hardest thing is
unlearning stuff they already know.

> 2. Is there a book that lays out the basic or fundmentals?
Yes, Dan Shafer's book available through the Rev web site. Make sure
you go through all the video tutorials in RevOnline as well.

> 3. Would someone like to help tutor me?
We all will. That's what the list is for and there are some amazingly
knowledgeable people who can explain things very clearly. Ask your
questions and someone here will always know answer.

> For the the third question, I am looking for someone to help guide me
> through developing the application I have in mind.
Do the tutorials first and get a basic idea of how Revolution works.
Then think about your application - you may decide to start with
something extra simple at first. Design your user interface - how
should it look, what buttons should the user be able to click, what
information do you want to show them. Lay out the objects to do this -
don't worry about any programming at this stage.

Now pick a few objects which need to do something simple. Maybe a
button needs to go to another stack - write the script for that. Test
it, ask for help if you get stuck and then move on to the next thing.

Revolution is a very complete language. It isn't difficult to learn,
but there is so much to it, that it can be hard to find what you need.
But persevere, ask anything, and in a few months you will be the one
answering newbie's questions :-)

Cheers,
Sarah