use-revolution Digest, Vol 18, Issue 53

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Mon Mar 14 17:05:46 EST 2005

Richard

It is many years since I played much in Terminal and then not with
tcsh, so let me tell you how I worked my way through this and see if it
helps you. Watch for the dots I have in here, e.g. in "sudo mv
./airport /usr/local/bin" there is one at the beginning of the first
path.

I downloaded the file from macstumbler and decompressed it to the
desktop, producing a folder "airport".
In Terminal, I typed "cd " and then dragged the airport folder into
terminal which put in the proper path for me.
I typed "make" which ran and created the executable in the folder. If
it does not run for you, check your default path or try "/usr/bin/make"
Assuming that works, enter "sudo mv ./airport /usr/local/bin" and your
password when requested. If you are within the airport folder this
should copy just the executable, not the whole folder. If you
accidentally move the whole folder, cd to /usr/local/bin and rename the
folder ("sudo mv airport airportf") and then move the file up a level
("sudo mv ./airportf/airport .").
The command "/usr/local/bin/airport" should now run for you. The signal
data is word 1 of line 2 of the output.

regards
David