using Rev for web searches?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Mar 13 12:11:28 EST 2005

Martin-

Saturday, March 12, 2005, 2:06:32 PM, you wrote:

>>It may be worth offering a gentle reminder here to always follow the
>>guidelines Google provides for using their API:
>><http://www.google.com/apis/>

MB> Fair enough as a general statement, but in the particular case of the
MB> Google API, to use it you need your own API developer key, and Google
MB> itself limits the number of queries each key can do in a day and the number
MB> of results you get. If you did that from RR, it shouldn't affect Revolution

More to the point, the Google API Terms of Service agreement
specifically forbids reformatting and metasearches, which in itself
invalidates most of code in the Google hacks book. While a Google
license sounds like a good idea in order to do the Right Thing, the
encumberances actually make doing anything with the returned results
impossible.

...but then, of course, if I followed the letter of every EULA I've
had to sign off on, I'd never touch my keyboard...

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net