using Rev for web searches?

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 17:06:32 EST 2005

>Stephen Barncard wrote:
> >> "I'd like to be able to search the web for the smallest page that
> >> includes all of a given set of words. Does anybody know of a way
> >> to do this?"
> >>
> > This is an interesting question, but there's one that has to be
> > answered before you can even attempt to ask this question:  Is
> > there a complete index of every type of document available on
> > the web?
> >
> > Now if being 100% accurate doesn't matter, then sure.  Do a search
> > for all of the words.  Take the results and go through them one
> > by one and compare the sizes.  You should have the answer then,
> > and all of it can easily be done with a script.
> > There's a book out there about how to 'hack' and use google searches
> > from your applications with the new API. "101" Google hacks or
> > something like that.
> >
> > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlehks/
>
>It may be worth offering a gentle reminder here to always follow the
>guidelines Google provides for using their API:
><http://www.google.com/apis/>
>
>It's in the interest of all Rev developers that search tools, bots, and
>anything else that carries the "Revolution" USER-AGENT tag be seen a
>good citizen.
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin

Fair enough as a general statement, but in the particular case of the
Google API, to use it you need your own API developer key, and Google
itself limits the number of queries each key can do in a day and the number
of results you get. If you did that from RR, it shouldn't affect Revolution
any more than Running such queries from User-Agent MSIE affects Microsoft,
surely, or am I wrong?

The point of the Google API is to provide a legal method of search
automation, preferable from Google's viewpoint to all and sundry bombarding
the regular search engine with automated queries. Interfaces to the API,
such as one might build in RR, almost always require the end-user to use
their own developer key.

Don't let the "Google Hacks" book title mislead you, it's only an
eye-catching title for a chatty review of stuff you can do with the Google
API and a few related topics of ineterest, and very little in it would
really qualify as a "Hack", it was after all written with input from Google.

Martin Baxter