Another empirical speed test

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Mar 12 13:35:35 EST 2005

On 3/12/05 4:43 AM, Bruce Robertson wrote:

> Have you considered doing tests 1 and 2 by first capturing number of lines
> instead of recalculating it each time through?
>
> Something like this:
>
> Put number of lines in DerData into numlines
> repeat with K1 = 1 to numlines
>    put item 3 of line K1 of DerData into line K1 of DerData
> end repeat

Scott Raney told us once that the engine pre-calculates this
automatically. I always used to get the number of lines the way your
example does until I heard that; then I stopped doing it.

Another thing the engine does is abandon an "if" check at the first
false condition it finds. HyperCard used to check all the conditions
before it did an evaluation, I think.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com