OSX Menu Mystery

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 11 16:17:38 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:16:14 -0800, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> Actually, the Help menu must meet two criteria:  for Windows it needs
> be the right-most menu since that's where folks expect to find it, but
> for Mac is must be the last item in your menu group since the engine
> builds the Mac menu bar from menu contents according to their later
> order within the group.

Sorry to be dumb but I don't quite understand this sentence - what's
the difference between 'right-most' and 'last in group' - could a menu
be one and not the other?

> [Graham wrote:]
>> Shouldn't this complete explanation go into the docs - maybe as a
>> webnote (haven't understood these yet, but I take it they are
>> developer-generated addenda to the main Rev effort). AFAIK the docs
>> only
>> talk about the 'Quit' item and don't really discuss how the
>> transformation from one menu to another takes place.
>
> I was going to add my notes there, but I couldn't find the section you
> refer to.  Where's the best place for me to add them?

The only reference I could find was in Topics/Menus, where there is a
question:

  How do I respond to quitting an OS X application?

In truth this does not cover the topic of menu items being moved around
automagically without the developer really being able to intervene, so
we need a new topic - which perhaps contains the existing one - called
something like:

How do I make sure my menus operate correctly under OSX?

(not great, but all I can think of at the moment).

I'm sure a lot of people would like to know these interesting facts!

Graham