OSX Menu Mystery

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 9 17:47:12 EST 2005

I'm aware of the way in which OSX hijacks the 'Quit' item from a File
menu (I guess this is the last item in my leftmost menu rather than
something called 'Quit', strictly speaking) and puts it in the menu
which has the name of the app (Revolution in the IDE, or whatever your
app is called in a standalone - let's call this 'the application
menu'). I also think (is this an urban myth?) that maybe in OSX the
'about' and 'help' menus work in a particular way dictated by the OS
rather than the developer.

Sadly I can't find in the docs (even in 2.5.1 - which is working very
smoothly here so far - thanks, everyone!) a complete description of
what happens to menus under OSX.

I need this because I have a menu in my app under development (i.e.
still being run under the IDE) which somehow  modifies the 'Revolution'
menu: it dims the 'Preferences' item, and puts what looks like an item
(actually a subitem) from my rightmost menu into the first item where
the 'About' is supposed to go; and my rightmost menu has been renamed
'Help', although the items have not been altered. I don't know how I
did all this, and I don't know how I'd get a non-dimmed 'Preferences'
item if I wanted one, or indeed to anything else with the items in the
application menu.

I guess there is an explanation in the docs but I just can't find it.
There is an item under 'quit' which explains what OSX does when you
choose 'Quit', but this doesn't handle the 'preferences', 'about' or
'help' cases at all. Maybe I'm just trying to make things too
complicated.

As usual, all advice gratefully received.

Graham (whose grandchildren have gone home, so more time for scripting!)