XSLT and revolution

Walton Sumner wsumner at im.wustl.edu
Wed Mar 9 15:37:02 EST 2005

Greetings;

I am interested in using XSLT within Revolution. The archives have a
year-old thread about XSLT and Revolution. Most of that thread contemplated
XSLT as a formatting program for XML output, but XSLT has broader
application than that. As the programming language for XML, XSLT allows me
to do things like:
-check data integrity in XML-tagged exports from an object oriented data
base, and produce human readable reports that focus attention on problems.
-transform a set of medical rules encoded in XML into efficient prime number
assignments for a handheld computer application
-build grading forms with arbitrary new tasks and responses added as needed
-convert XML data on a student's performance on an assignment into tailored
feedback.

I would like to have a Revolution front end for these programs, while
retaining the long-term investment in an open standard programming language
for most of the hard work. But this requires at least a robust XSLT engine
that Revolution can call on every deployment platform.

While I like the X-Talk languages, I really like being being able to re-use
investments in code. Since XSLT is more likely to endure than Revolution, it
would be nice to be able to use XSLT heavily within Revolution.

Any suggestions? Would anyone else in the current Revolution community use
XSLT if it were accessible?

--WS