XCMD's/XFCN's

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Mar 9 13:12:41 EST 2005

9-5's stuff is definitely not compatible with RR.

Also, it's not really true that reporting is non-existent in RR. I'm
just finishing my next eBook(let) on printing and I had to overcome
that same belief in working on it. While it's true that making some
sophisticated kinds of reports work in RR takes more work than it might
have in Report DataPro (9-to-5's product), there doesn't appear to be
much that you can't do with enough scripting. And a lot of reporting is
much more straightforward than first seems to be the case.

One of our serious script-heads here (I'll let him identify himself if
he chooses) told me yesterday that he has become very impressed with
the printing capability in RR, including even print previews at 50%
thumbnails that rival those of commercial apps.

So stay tuned. Or dive into what Rev *does* have in the way of
reporting and figure it out yourself. It's not as hard as it seems.

(We'll be having at least one and probably two sessions on printing at
the upcoming RevConWest in June in Monterey.)

Dan

P.S. In general, almost everything I used to use X-thingies for in HC
are implementable or already available in Transcript without the mess
of an external.