Learning Revolution

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Mar 8 12:50:33 EST 2005

Karen-

Your comments are right on target.

Tuesday, March 8, 2005, 1:33:11 AM, you wrote:

K> I've started out trying to convert a few programs from REALbasic to
K> Revolution, and then started on a project that has gradually expanded to
K> stretch my knowledge.

While I have yet to find anything in RB or VB that I couldn't convert
to transcript, I've found a few transcript constructs that wouldn't go
the other way (or at least without more trouble than it's worth).

K> The biggest problem that I find is knowing what to look for in the online
K> references.  For example, I tend to think of the commands in "REALbasic"

Absolutely spot on. Example: in topics, searching for "static" (as in
"static text") brings up a handful of entries, at least one of which
talks about label fields. However, filtering on "static" brings up a
total of nothing. Nada. Zilch.

K> the documentation is fairly scanty.  It took me ages to figure out how to
K> use the auto-complete shortcuts that appear at the bottom of the script
K> editing window.

I have to admit sheepishly that I haven't figured that one out yet. I
see them pop up, but it's never distracted me from typing enough to
get sidetracked into working on it. Any clues for me?

K> I'm using the pearls of wisdom that I find on the list to build up my own
K> little database of useful things to know - it has been a great help so far.

...Have you come across the Scripter's Scrapbook plugin yet?
http://www.FlexibleLearning.com

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net