Learning Revolution

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Tue Mar 8 09:44:52 EST 2005

This is one place where it may do very well for Rev's docs to take a
cue from the upcoming version of OS X.  Apple added a search feature to
- - of all things - System Preferences!

When searching, you can enter either the Macintosh name for something
("Desktop Picture") or the Windows name ("Wallpaper") and System
Preferences takes you where you need to go.  It may be nice for Rev to
include terms from other popular languages (REALbasic, Visual Basic,
C/C++, Pascal) in the search indexes for the online help, so that users
of other languages can quickly find things using their own terms -- and
be taken to a related page which shows them Rev's name for something,
or its equivalent.

To split a string, for example, when the user searches for "Left" or
"Right," take them to a page describing chunk notation and the 'char'
chunk type.

BTW, if you didn't find it before:

Left(str, numChars) = chars 1 to numChars of str
Mid(str, firstChar, numChars) = chars firstChar to
(firstChar+numChars-1) of str
Right(str, numChars) = chars -numChars to -1 of str

InStr -> see the "offset" function

On Mar 8, 2005, at 4:33 AM, Karen wrote:

> The biggest problem that I find is knowing what to look for in the
> online
> references.  For example, I tend to think of the commands in
> "REALbasic"
> terms, so to split a string I would be thinking of "Left", "Right",
> "Mid"
> and "InStr" commands.  Revolution is quite different - very powerful,
> but it
> takes some searching around to find out the syntax and just what you
> can do.
> The documentation doesn't make it that easy to find the command given
> the
> kind of functionality you need.  The top level items of the "Topics"
> documentation (for example) give little guide as to how you'd find out
> anything on text handling.

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$