Rev Packaged App hanging

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Mar 7 16:51:41 EST 2005

Steve Bonham wrote:

> REVers,
>
> Using Revolution, I've created a main stack that reads from and writes
> to an external preferences text file entitled "TJsettings.txt".
>

> In the stack script (on openstack) starts with:
>
> put the filename of this stack into MyPathWay
>   repeat until the last char of myPathWay is "/"
>     delete last char of MyPathWay
>   end repeat
>
>   put myPathWay & "TJsettings.txt" into MyPathWay
>

>   answer myPathway  --"BUG TEST" line
>

>   open file MyPathWay
>
>   read from file MyPathWay until EOF
>   put it into TheSettings
>
>   put theSettings into fld "settings"
>
> ---------
> then I'll pull info from fld setting to reset preferences
>
> Only thing is-- it's not working...
>

> The "BUG TEST" line results in
> "Users/steve/Desktop/JeopardyQs/TJsettings.txt" which
> is accurate. But nothing is appearing in the fld "settings"
>
> Any advice?

The Subject line suggests the app is hanging - while the description
sounds like it completes, just fails to get anything into the field.
So I'm not quite sure if this will help, but ...

>   open file MyPathWay

put "Result from open =  " && the result & cr after msg

>   read from file MyPathWay until EOF
>   put it into TheSettings

put "Result after read = " && the result & cr after msg

>   put theSettings into fld "settings"

btw - did you include a "close MyPathWay" ?  Is it possible that the
file was already open and had reached EOF ?
(I'm not sure what happens when you "open" a file that is already still
open ....)

Alternatively, try
   put URL ("file:" & MyPathWay") into TheSettings
instead of the open and the read.