[noob again]static text

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:42:50 EST 2005

<cutting stuff that's already dead in this thread/>

> M> I'll reiterate my call for a set of manuals.
>
> I take it you have some objection to ordering them?
>
>http://secure.runrev.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MANLPRNT&Category_Code=REVNBOOK&Store_Code=SDREBWLP

The "objection" I have is to paying for access to basic reference
material.  I'm not asking for printed manuals.  I'm not aware of any
products that have printed docs included any more.  However, they have
electronic docs included.  This weekend I went through the web site
tutorial pdf's and the documentation stack trying to find the info. I
was looking for.  Unfortunately that search was unsuccessful.  A few
tutorial movies, some random access help and an online user group is
not the same thing.

While it's obvous that most of you have grown comfortable to this
setup, it is hardly helpful to new users (regardless of their past
experience with tool x, y, z, or w), and it makes it harder to
persuade clients and the powers-that-be that the tool is mature when
it lacks something that is generally taken for granted.  "Sure, we can
get people up to speed - uh, but we're going to have to do it in sort
of a trial-and-error sort of fashion because there isn't any sort of
theme-organized language reference or design guide...well, you could
cough up another Benjamin for printed docs (which I'm assuming are
complete and applicable for the current version), or there's this
third party book for $40."

Since we're in the mode of trying to decide if we're going to shell
out for one or several corporate licenses, or put RR in the "wait and
see" category and continue with the plan to convert our existing
stacks to other environments, which sort of reduces the future value
of RR to us, the little things such as this make a difference.  It's a
much more awkward sell.

On the good news side of the coin, it didn't hurt that on a Sunday I
was able to crank out a question on this latest issue and get a quick
series of replies.  The activity level on this list is somewhat
encouraging.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good.