more rawkeydown problems

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Mar 6 18:23:32 EST 2005

>> Hi All,
>> If crossplatform uniformness is not your piece of cake then please
>> don't read this mail.
>> But for those who really need to process keyboard input here are some
>> more keyboard anomalies to check.
>
> <snip>
>
>> These are tests on a apple usb keyboard. May be there will also be
>> differences on laptop keyboards.
>> If someone can test and confirm the above then this can be
>> bugzilla'ed.
>
> I'm not sure it is a bug, it is just the differences between operating
> systems. The Rev engine just passes on the key codes that the
> operating system sends. If you have the MC IDE, see the "Character
> Chooser" in the MetaCard "Tools" menu for examples of these
> differences. Sometimes you can use the macToISO and ISOtoMac functions
> to translate between the character sets, but I don't think those
> functions work with non-ascii keystrokes.

For anyone wanting to test what rawKey codes their keyboard gives, here
is a utility I wrote ages ago to do this:
http://www.troz.net/Rev/RevProjects/KeyCoder.rev.gz

While differences between keyboards & operating systems are annoying,
the keys you are checking are mostly available using other messages. In
NumLock is on, the numeric keys generate arrowKey messages and if
NumLock is on, the number can be read directly in a keyDown or keyUp
handler.

Cheers,
Sarah