Own fontsuite with standalone ?

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Fri Mar 4 13:08:13 EST 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

> On 3/3/05 9:28 AM, "Kresten Bjerg" <kresten.bjerg at psy.ku.dk> wrote:
>
>> I have a font suite of 14 specially devellopped fonts, needed for a
>> standalone. Do users have to download them, and install them manually
>> (a
>> mac version and a Windows version) or can they somehow be included in
>> the standalone, - and perhaps more or less automatically be installed
>> from there?
>
> You can't "embed" fonts into your standalone (like Flash or Director),
> but
> you can store them in your standalone as custom properties and write
> them
> out to disk into the OS's Fonts folder. This would be the equivalent of
> being installed.

We used to do that with our font package, but ran into problems with
XP.  It turns out that the fonts might work on some systems and not on
others.  Once the user restarted the system, usually the fonts would
not show up in a user's app.  We had to resort to spitting out a
tradition installer from a custom property and install the fonts with
that.  I am sure it could be done if you knew the correct registry
settings to make.  I just ran out of time and never got around to
figuring it out myself.  If you do figure it out, please post.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com