custom property searching speed question

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Mar 4 08:07:58 EST 2005

Ben Fisher wrote:

>>What algorithm is RR using for searching?  I find that I have to keep
>>writing Boyer-Moore-Sunday search algorithms for most of the
>>devlopment tools I use.
>>

>Whatever algorithm RR uses to search the docs, it doesn't work. When I try to "Search for:" something, I get a spinning beach ball for a while, and then Rev stops responding.

There are  a couple of searching problem in the docs - Ken's FixDocs is
a temp patch for one of them, and there's another one in the Find &
Replace function; Chipp's fix handles that one

> Fix for Rev 2.5 Find&Replace stack.
>
> Turns out there's a problem with shared group references. It manifests
> itself in a spinning busy icon which never stops and no hits seen in
> the fields below. I've created a patch stack:
>
> go URL "http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/altRevSearchFix.rev"

But I think the original question was about the search algorithm used
for offset() and similar functions.  I don't know whether these use  a
Boyer-Moore or not. I do know they are very fast.

Given the relative speed of scripted code versus library code, it would
be astonishing if it was possible to script in Transcript a B-M solution
that would approach the speed of the built-in functions.

Mikey (I think it was) - have you encountered any speed problems that
you think a faster search would be needed to solve ?