custom property searching speed question

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Mar 2 19:05:51 EST 2005

> Alex Tweedly wrote:
>>> Have you tried looping through lines in a combined string? If your
>>> results are like mine you'll shave another 20% off.
>>>
>> Only saves 4% for me. (And the "combine" took over a second - 500% of the
>> summation cost !)
>
> Of course. In my case I had the option of storing either as a chunk or an
> array so my measurements included only the actual lookup time, not any of
> the setup.

Well... if there's an option of altering the storage might I suggest using
three parallel custom property sets. The sum would then only require reading
the set for what is currently item 3 into a variable and calling the sum
function. I would be rather surprised if this wasn't blindingly fast....

Cheers

Monte