alwaysBuffer vs. screenNoPixMaps

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 14:40:35 EST 2005

Has anyone experimented with the 'alwaysBuffer' object property and the
'screenNoPixMaps' global property enough to learn anything about them
beyond the docs say?

It appears to me that 'alwaysBuffer' relates to RE-drawing screen
elements rather than the initial drawing of same, but I also see this
little statement in the 'alwaysBuffer' page of the docs (with MY EMPHASIS):
==== start ====
When moving objects are displayed on the screen, flicker may result,
since the objects are being redrawn as they move. You can avoid this
problem by judicious use of the alwaysBuffer property, which creates an
offscreen memory area IN WHICH OBJECTS ARE INITIALLY DRAWN. The visible
display is updated from this buffer area, eliminating flicker.

My goal is to eliminate all flicker during the display (the initial
screen draw) of a custom modal dialog during my app startup process.

My question:
Is there any initial-flicker-prevention benefit to setting the
'alwaysBuffer' of a dialog stack to true? Or is it really all dependent
on the 'screenNoPixMaps' property?

TIA -
Phil Davis