CGI access to PostGreSQL

Mark Waddingham 36degrees at runrev.com
Tue Mar 1 04:20:34 EST 2005

Hello Sivakatirswami :o)

Looking at your script, then you need to do
  revSetDatabaseDriverPath "/usr/local/lib/revolution"
As it is the *folder* containing the drivers that needs to be
referenced. Also you have to ensure that dbPostgresql.so has appropriate
execute permissions set otherwise it's likely to complain :o)

However, I recall you saying that you had tried this already, so I have
a feeling that there might be another issue...

In order to connect to a Postgres database, the database driver needs to
be able to load a version of the client library 'libpq'. Unfortunately,
the major version number of the libpq shared library increased between
Postgres 7.2 and Postgres 7.3 - and the Linux version of the database
drivers link against libpq.so.2.

As far as I know (although I could be eating my hat on this one) there
should be no problems with using libpq.so.2 to connect to a >= 7.3
Postgres database - it's just that they haven't included it in the stock
7.3 distribution.

To verify if this is the case in your situation do the following from
the command-prompt:
  - cd /usr/local/lib/revolution
  - ldd dbPostgresql.so

This will give you a list of the shared-libraries the driver expects to
find - and will indicate if it cannot find one.

If you get a line something like:
  libpq.so.2 => not found
Then this is the problem described above, and you'll need to dig out a
libpq.so.2 from a pre-7.3 distribution of Postgres and install it in an
appropriate place and all should (hopefully) be well...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.