file name or dir changed from the desktop

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Thu Jun 30 22:00:51 EDT 2005

At 3:13 AM -0700 6/30/2005, Scott Morrow wrote:
>Although changing the file name of an open file seems like a bad
>idea, I'm sure one of my users will do it and then get confused when
>their  newly named file doesn't contain the most recent changes.   I
>noticed that Appleworks 6 (OSX) doesn't have a problem with the file
>name being changed.

It's a design flaw that goes back to HyperCard. HC and Rev alike use
hardcoded file paths, rather than filesystem specs. (It's worth
noting that some OS X applications do this too and exhibit similar
problems.)

In the case of Rev, there's some excuse for it, since a file path is
a simple string (and thus can be dealt with easily in Transcript).
But it does have the effect that if you change a file's path while
it's open, either by renaming it or moving it, things break. I'm not
sure there's a good workaround.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com