Arrrgghh -- Find and Replace

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Jun 29 16:49:31 EDT 2005

>Timothy-
>
>Tuesday, June 28, 2005, 8:39:04 PM, you wrote:
>
>TM> It still seems to me that a "stop searching" button on this window
>TM> would be a welcome addition, unless it can be made to work so fast
>TM> that none would be necessary.
>
>TM> Is there something I'm not getting?
>
>I can't imagine how you're getting such slow results. Any cookies
>left?
>
>If I'm quick enough I can press command-period and the find stops
>before the next container. Does that not work for you? I have to be
>really quick about pressing it, though, because otherwise the search
>is all done.

Hi Mark,

Well, I'm not sure. It's possible that it's so slow because there is
some bug that causes it to be very slow -- maybe only on certain
platforms -- in version 2.5.X of Dreamcard.

It's also possible we're talking about two different things. There's
a scripted find command, which I believe finds field text only. I
think that's the same command as typing 'find "polydipsical"' into
the msg box. That command works almost instantaneously for me, even
in a pretty big stack with a large number of fields.

I'm talking about the find and replace window you get by typing
command-F. That worked hopelessly slow before I installed the patch,
and somewhat faster, but still quite slowly, afterwards. As I recall,
Jacque mentioned at some point that this feature works very, very
slowly. She didn't say why.

It's possible I didn't install the patch right, but that seems unlikely.

If I understand the other messages on this thread correctly, the
command-F find-and-replace feature in version 2.6 for the OS X might
be very fast. Maybe Chipp's patch only partly fixes the problem in
2.5. I don't quite know what to think at the moment.

I'm usually conservative about upgrades. I was going to wait for
several maintenance upgrades on 2.6.x, before I upgraded from 2.5.1.
Bad idea?

Cheers,

Tim