Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

Bob Warren warren at howsoft.com
Tue Jun 28 21:48:29 EDT 2005

I can sum up a little on what I object to in the script editor by saying
that I expect an editor to do what I want it to do, not what IT wants ME to
do. Automatic formatting may well be an advantage in a number of respects,
but at what cost? What's the good of it if it makes the most simple
operations twice as difficult as they would be otherwise? Here is a very
simple example of what I am talking about:

Here is a line with no indent
    Here is a line with an indent

How do I remove the indent in the 2nd line? In VB, all I have to do is
position the cursor before the indented "H" of the 2nd line and then hit
BACKSPACE. Alternatively, I can position the cursor at the very beginning of
the line before the indent and then hit DELETE repeatedly to remove the 4
blank characters constituting the indent. I would choose the first option,
of course. (The advantage of being able to remove single blanks rather
chunks of 4 is that I can create indents of only 1 or 2 characters if I
want. As I explained previously, if I create a new line above or below a
given line, the indentation of the new lines matches that of the original,
even when the size of the indentation is non-standard.)

In Word, there is no possibility of positioning the cursor at the beginning
of the line before the indent. Just like Rev, it gets positioned immediately
before the "H". However, if I type BACKSPACE, Word simply removes the
indent.

But what do I have to do in Revolution? First of all, I find that wherever I
try to position the cursor on the LHS of the 2nd line, it ends up positioned
after the indent, immediately before the "H". Then I hit BACKSPACE which
gives the following result:

Here is a line with no indentHere is a line with an indent

The cursor is positioned between the 2 sentences. Then, I have to type ENTER
to separate the lines:

Here is a line with no indent
Here is a line with an indent (that has now had its indent removed)

How does such eccentric behaviour balance with the advantages of
auto-formatting?

Summing up on the question of bugs, I suggested that the Rev editor should
be simplified merely because whoever programmed it seemed to be biting off
more than he could chew, evidenced by the bugs and confusions that still
remain in the editor after years of use. If the author is NOT biting off
more than he can chew, or if the current Rev team responsible for it are not
biting off more than they can chew, then I suggest they PROVE ME WRONG,
AND THE SOONER THE BETTER!