Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

Jon jbondy at sover.net
Tue Jun 28 18:54:46 EDT 2005

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I am very used to unaligned scripts until I hit the tab key; that's
> been the standard in all xtalks for almost 20 years.

I think the point is that it is technically possible to have editors
that provide the auto-format AND also allow one to only rarely have
"unaligned scripts".  The fact that you are very used to this is more a
comment on defects in the editor than it is in the beauty of Rev.

And, BTW, I NEVER would have guessed that the <tab> key did ANYTHING
other than enter <tab> characters into the text.  This is a great
example of a totally bizarre UI that you folks have become so used to
that you can't see the strangeness of it.

I know I'm coming off as being a bit annoying, but it is frustrating
after having used decent tools for years and years to discover the
number of buggy areas in Rev that the rest of you seem to take for
granted.  It is very off-putting to experienced programmers from other
platforms.  If you want Rev to grow, you might want to take a less
parochial attitude about these problem areas. Simply saying "well, we
don't mind it, so you shouldn't mind" seems beside the point.

Jon