Confirm Long File Name Bug in Player Object

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Jun 27 21:31:36 EDT 2005

basic but still intriquing discussion, tks for bearing with it. It
seems overly subtle perhaps, but not really... I had a user use
select her entire transcript and "CUT" and it disappeared... she
wrote me an email asking what to do !

I wrote back... "Just paste it back again..." of course by then it
was too late. Anyway, I'm using "send" the app to save itself now
every 5 minutes and will shortly cause the whole thing to dump
the .xml file one each save *and* save the transcript into a global
they can revert too  as a triple safety against losing work. So if my
app or my rev player stand alone or their system goes up in smoke,
they will have their work up to the last five minutes on the hard
drive. Point: these kinds of users are very easily confused and will
just "stop in their tracks" if things don't seem obvious.

I like your 2 questions 4 states diagram.

Made me  think my problem is in the use of "finished" which is
ambiquous because what it really means is

a) "user has completde transcription of the last .mp3 file, has
proofread the text and successfully uploaded the xml file to our
server here and is ready to start a new one... clean slate..."

b) Having done that, and downloaded some new lectures to transcribe,
they are supposed to then select a new audio file to transcribe. This
dialog is a fail safe to make sure they actually completed a) above
before starting a new one... if they do start a new one, the data in
the substack "header" is cleared...

Also clearing the header is a really an internal maintenance thing,
like wiping off the black board the next class... the students in the
next class really don't need to know about that event any more than
we need to tell them  "I am about to put empty into all the globals
in this stack..." [i.e. in answer to your question... no, the user
would never want to retain the header info when starting a new
transcript.]

All we really need to do is check ask the user if they succeed with
a) above and then proceed.

How about this (using Thomas's idea to just re-write the question...) :

Answer "Was your last transcript complete and successfully uploaded?"

with "Yes" or "No"

Sivakatirswami