Printing Causes Rev & Standalone to Crash

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Mon Jun 27 14:26:25 EDT 2005

I'm printing a large number of cards (100-150 cards, each landscape
A4) using something like:

    open printing with dialog
     repeat with x = 1 to cardsToPrint
       print card x
     end repeat
    close printing

However, it gets to the last card and then crashes both Rev and also
any standalone I've built doing the same thing.  I've tried both Rev
2.5.1 and Rev 6 (under Mac OS X 10.3.9) and get the same result.
I've tried a Print Preview and a Print to PDF and both crash out of
Rev/standalone!  If I do Print Preview, I get nothing after the
crash.  If I do Print to PDF, I get an incomplete damaged PDF file.

The 100-150 cards are actually groups of 4-5 cards with their content
being changed and then printed. Basically they are customer records,
each of 4-5 pages and I'm trying to print a batch of customers in one
go, either directly to the printer or to a PDF file such that the
user only has to set the paper size/orientation once and the output
options (one/two sided, to print/PDF) once rather than for each
customer in a batch (a batch can be 15-25 customers at a time).

This looks like a memory problem to me, but I don't know whether
there's anything I can tweak to make it go away.

Alternatively, is there anyway to set up multiple print runs (i.e.
multiple "open printing" - "close printing" cycles such that I can
get the user to answer the final print dialog just the once and carry
over the settings into each subsequent cycle?

Any suggestions please?

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk