connecting to a remote mySQL database

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Jun 27 13:56:24 EDT 2005

This is a documented problem involving the upgrade to MySQL 4.1.1 and
beyond.

This page will tell you more than you ever wanted to know but should
help you fix the problem:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/password-hashing.html

On Jun 27, 2005, at 3:23 AM, Ton Kuypers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen this come by on this list, but I can't seem to remember
> the solution to the problem.
>
> When connecting from rev to a mySQL database (4.1.9) I keep on
> getting the error "Client does not support authentication protocol
> requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client".
> I've used the mySQL Administrator to check the "Use old passwords"
> checkbox in the security tab of the startup variables, but no
> success, the error remains...
>
> The error occurs when connecting from a windows RR to localhost as
> well as when connecting from a OS-X RR to the IP Address.
>

> Anyone any advice on how to connect to mySQL 4.1.x?
Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermedia.com/revolutionbooks.html