the := operator (affectation

Jim MacConnell jmac at consensustech.com
Thu Jun 23 18:13:23 EDT 2005

Hi.

I've been "listening" to this discussion and find it intriguing. I
personally have nothing against ":=" and "=" for variable assignment
and have used them when using a tool that requires them. I also can
quickly adapt to the "==" concept for comparisons and "=+" for
incrementing  (Though that one still hurts my brain a little). So...
while the discussions about operators has been interesting, it is not
something that stirred any passion.... Until the "gets" discussion
that is.... and then I realized that I do care....

My problem with the concept of "gets" is that I can't see how it fits
within the conceptual framework of xTalk where we (the coders) are
telling an object (a button, a field, etc.) what to do when a certain
message is received (on blah). The "put" and "get" constructs fall
neatly into that vision as does (not surprisingly) most/all other
elements (send, do,etc.). In a polite form of the "verbose", we are
saying "Please, Button, when you receive a 'mouseUp' message do this
and this and this also".  Often, we will throw in a customHandler
"xxx" which the object figures is a message if we don't tell it
otherwise and so we don't have to say "Send xxx to the target" all
the time.

In contrast what is going on with the "gets" construct? Here some
renegade variable is off filling itself with data and the button can
only assume that it is being done... a weird sort of coding
delegation which makes sense in a some environments but not xTalk. It
is more like  "Please, Button, when you receive a 'mouseUp' message
do this and this and Ooops.. this isn't meant for you so don't pay
any attention (Variable... go stuff yourself with something).. and
now where were we.. Oh yes.. and this and this...and I hope the
variable did its thing because I know you didn't do it Button but I
hope the data is there cuz now I need you to do this.... and this
and this also".  I mean "Where's the message?".

I don't mean to be totally facetious but the concept of message path
and message passing within the confines of a relatively limited set
of "near physical" objects  is in what I view as the core concept of
xTalk. The "affectation" discussion is really about alternatives for
those who have learned to program in non-message based environments.
(Or so my thoughts at this instant indicate)..... and this extends to
those thinking ":=", etc. would be a good addition to Transcript.  In
contrast I think adding the "put x into y" construct would help a lot
of other code (C, VB, ++)  be more readable....

Getting back to "gets"... is it really that much harder to type "put
(the x of y) into z" versus "z gets the x of y".

okay.. back into my hole...

Jim

James H. MacConnell

Consensus Technology, LLC