the := operator (affectation

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jun 23 13:49:05 EDT 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 4:13 AM, Marielle Lange wrote:

> But I like the fact that there is a different logic
> for properties and variables.
>     set the width to 100
>     put 100 into myVar

I'm curious as to why you like the different syntaxes?

I sometimes accidently try to use 'put' when I need 'set'.  The 'the'
word can differentiate, so 'set' is redundant.  Redundancy can be good;
it catches errors.  However, in this case the word 'set' and the word
'the' are next to each other.  We might consider making 'the' optional,
but it is needed in expressions containing properties.

Perhaps there is a model or view that I'm missing that 'set' and 'put
into' differentiate.

Perhaps one advantage of 'set' over 'put' is that it emphasizes that
chunks are not allowed.  I don't know why they would not be if we have
a simple "as if" model of what happens.

I would not mind if 'put' be allowed for properties and even chunks
were allowed.

Dar