ANN Daily Crytoquote--my misspelling

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Jun 23 08:59:32 EDT 2005

>Message: 8
>Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:41:08 -0500
>From: "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
>Subject: Re: ANN Daily Crytoquote--my misspelling
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>On 6/22/05 8:39 PM, Jim Hurley wrote:
>
>>  My dictionary of 61,000 words comes in at 592 K--similar
>>  to yours in size. The problem is that it includes a lot of words I've
>>  never heard of. For example the dictionary begins with the following:
>>
>>  aardvark, aardwolf, aba, abaca, abacist, aback, abacus, abaft, abalone,
>>  abamp, abampere, abandon, abandoned, abase, abash, abate, abatement,
>>  abatis, abattoir, abaxial, abb, abba, abbacy, abbatial
>
>Well, FRELI won't help you there. It's got those too. Too bad we can't
>write a regex that means "take out everything obscure."
>
>--
>Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
>HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Jacque,

What an enterprising person (not me) would do is take the text of
several books and create a fequency-of-occurence list using Scott's
algorithm, and then delete all words in the dictionary which don't
have the necessary frequency.

By encorporating you compression suggestion, the decoder stack
dropped from 800K to 200K. RR is blazingly fast at decompression.

Jim