compileIt for Revolution?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Jun 22 23:05:49 EDT 2005

On Jun 22, 2005, at 8:46 PM, Eric Engle wrote:

> So why use := ? Some people prefer pre-fixing affectation, and as I
> said, it is
> supported in lingo which is also a pascal derived language. In fact, I
> know of
> no other language that post-fixes affectation (put value into variable
> as
> opposed to affect(variable, value). Hell, I'd even prefer "let
> variable =
> value".

I like "put value into variable", but would much prefer ":=" to "="
(which looks like equality) or "let variable = value" (which looks like
the variable does not change over scope).  To me "let" has a particular
mathematical meaning and its usage in basic is grating.

The language Savvy used "put value into variable".

I am not familiar with "affectation" for assignment.  This is probably
a hole in my knowledge.  Perhaps it is distinct in some way so
"assignment" can be more general or more specific; perhaps it is
borrowed from the French.

One main advantage of "put value into variable" is that it emphasizes
the container model.  On big problem is that terms like RHS (value) and
LHS (variable) get confusing.

Dar