compileIt for Revolution?

Eric Engle engleerica at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 22:46:47 EDT 2005

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:24:18 -0400
> From: Mikey <mikeythek at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: the := operator (affectation)
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> How is this even a continuing topic of discussion?  Hey Japanese - I
> think Katakana is too complicated.  Let's stick to 26 symbols, ok?
> Yeah.  I'd like that next year.  Transcript a different language.  It
> isn't Pascal or APL, or Fortran or Cobol or LISP or anything else, and
> thank goodness for that.  Do you actually ask the C++.net people for
> this special treatment, too?  Do they do anything but flame you off
> the list?  I mean - why :=?  Why not go for broke and do it the basic
> way?  = can be used for assignment and comparison, and it's less
> typing, so let's do that.
>
> I can see someone coming from C asking for some sort of different
> syntax (uh, no), but Pascal?  Please.

Try not to get your knickers in a twist. In case you haven't noticed,
hypertalk/transcript is clearly a Pascal derived language, they just got rid of
begin/end, loosely typed it, and made the operator of affectation verbose.

Compare the hypercard debugger to the debugger in thinkPascal just to see. The
script indenter is also clearly imported from thinkPascal.

Pascal remains important in the university world. I mean, if you're going to
sneer at pascal, why not sneer at transcript, since it is clearly a pascal
descendant and less übergeek to boot.

So why use := ? Some people prefer pre-fixing affectation, and as I said, it is
supported in lingo which is also a pascal derived language. In fact, I know of
no other language that post-fixes affectation (put value into variable as
opposed to affect(variable, value). Hell, I'd even prefer "let variable =
value".

Even your katakana analogy is wrong. You have 3 different scripts in japanese,
not just katakan also hirigana, and kanjii. And, surprises surprise, kanjii is
a simplified script and the other scripts are more complex and each has its
purpose.

Lingo also introduced dot syntax but still parses verbose syntax. I would never
want to see dot syntax in xTalk.