Principles for User-Interface Design

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jun 22 21:33:04 EDT 2005

Judy Perry wrote:

>Al:
>
>It sux bigtime!!!
>
>I remember once I was teaching the "how to turn your computer on" class on
>the PC platform and some CS major decided it would be cute to reprogram
>the left-right mouse buttons to their opposite.
>
>I can't begin to tell you how much fun that was.  Happened periodically
>that term.

I know what you mean.
I used to work on a CAD graphics editing program. Some bright spark
thought it would be funny to write a program that would roam around the
network until it found a machine running the program, take over the
whole screen, find where the buttons were, and then program it such that
(sometimes) when you tried to click on a button, the button would
"squirt" out from under the mouse, and scoot across the screen away from
you .... slowing down a bit until the cursor got near when it would
speed up again and go in a different direction.

That was a big fad for a month or two, but then it became "old hat"; so
next was the "melting screen" problem. The windows (esp near the top of
the screen) would start to slowly "melt" - the borders would droop
slightly, drips would form on the bottom corners, then the interiors
would randomly and unevenly slide down, looking just like the windows
had been painted on and the paint was running.

Then there was the "paratrooper" - he'd drop down from the top of the
screen, "land" on the bottom, then march off to the right - pushing in
front of him any windows he found low enough on the screen.

That was the week we disconnected the customer demonstration rooms from
the development part of the network ....