compileIt for revolution?

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Jun 22 18:11:38 EDT 2005

This whole discussion has been revealing and intriguing to me.

My favorite programming language is Smalltalk. But before it was
possible to create UIs for Smalltalk without writing code, I found it
cumbersome. When a product called WindowBuilder came along, I felt
like we'd achieved the ultimate development environment. In many
ways, I still think that. Smalltalk had other problems,
unfortunately, that made it great to code in, difficult to impossible
to deploy.

Then my second favorite language was Python. The GUI-building tools
for Python are pathetic to non-existent. But the language is powerful
and elegant and extends naturally. If the PythonCard project I was
engaged in before I discovered Revolution had been on a fast track or
complete, odds are I'd have never used Rev.

Now I favor Transcript and RunRev. Building UIs is all but painless
and 95% of what I want or need to do in creating apps is simple
inside the elegance of Transcript. But Transcript isn't  object-
oriented.

Two aphorisms came to mind as I read this entire thread again today.

One is, "No good programmer uses only one tool for everything."

The other is, "It's a poor workman who blames his tools."

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermedia.com/revolutionbooks.html