compileIt for revolution?

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Wed Jun 22 16:47:25 EDT 2005

John,

I actually had a complete matrix algebra package as an external for
Hypercard.  I know how to use it, because I cut my teeth on APL.  I
implemented my complex algorithms and state machines in it.  The
coding was cumbersome, and it was difficult to debug and handle edge
conditions, sparse arrays, etc.  And to top it all off, it only ran
25% faster than the simple HyperCard stack even though it could
crunch numbers 10 times faster.  However, I have to admit that it
spent a lot of time converting and passing arrays back and forth to
HyperCard.  A native engine capability might make a big difference if
the internal representation could be typed by making sure you only
put all the same type numbers into the array, and if the indexes were
truly integers.  The both matrix and element by element operations
could be mixed and we would have the best of both worlds.

Dennis